Thursday, May 19, 2005

Public Image

So I'm in Imaculada's Portuguese BBQ & Sauna having a private moment when the manager calls me on the mobile. After an ear-bending of gargantuan proportions I get the message that yours truly has to get out there and earn some serious dosh.

Now you will recall that a
Comeback Tour was mooted earlier in the year. Now that Cream has finished its gigs, I reckon the coast is clear for the some serious Grope Rocks! action. I get hold of Quentin and arrange to meet him at the White Lion to talk tactics.

I pitch up to find him bent over some gadget which he tells me is a raspberry or something. Apparently, he can be contacted by email at any time of the day or night to which my first question is 'Why?'. Anyway, I tell him that he needs to rustle up some PR pdq otherwise he'll spending more time with his strawberry in the dole queue. He does this little dithery thing for a few seconds and then launches into something about me getting a more consumer friendly image. Inevitably, bloody Clapton's name crops up. Now, is it me or does he look like a middle manager from an insurance company these days? There's a lot of 'over my dead body' from me and gentle sobbing from Quentin before I finally agree to a feasibility study.

So in the interests of consumer research, I'd like to hear any suggestions as how the already stella Grope image might be improved.

Keep it clean


3 comments:

Bud said...

I think you have to promote something you like. The pubs you frequent for instance. Or how'd you like your picture on a brothel, or a condom wrapper? It wouldn't do for you to appear in an insurance ad, I agree. Who'd believe that? You're too high risk, so promote the risky stuff.

Anonymous said...

Following the music worlds closely and sort of being employed with the record label I’d say either go completely indie and decline everything until it feels right ( oh boy)
or ‘claim the come back at any prize in the ‘Love actually’ style, seem to work well in UK. IT doesn’t really matter what you chose as long as you do it in some way memorable.

ps. I am probably much too young to throw such statements at you...oh well.

Tim said...

Regular bathing.